Manual Handling Disability Support Workers
Duration: 16 Mins
In the disability services sector, the 6 most common hazardous tasks are:
- Moving and supporting people with a disability
- Supporting people with personal hygiene
- Assisting people in wheelchairs
- Handling wheelchairs in and out of vehicles
- Moving and lifting items
- Occupational violence
All of these tasks require various forms of manual handling.
The trouble with manual handling injuries is none of them are as spectacular as other workplace injuries. Rather they tend to creep on the victim after years and years of improper practices.
This manual handling for disability support workers training program deals with:
- The specific laws of managing hazardous manual handling tasks
- How to assess and control the risks
- How to lift and carry safely
- An easy to follow guide of the physiology of the back